At Buy Sod, no job is too big or too small. We sell and install sod for all types of athletic venues, this includes:
- Fields for municipalities, parks, and public areas
- Athletic fields for schools of all grade levels
- NFL and collegiate fields
- New construction of fields as well as field repair/maintenance
Our expert team uses specialized equipment for installation on laser-graded surfaces. We’ve seen firsthand the many advantages of using natural grass over artificial grass. We’ve found natural grass is safer, more cost effective to install and maintain, and is better for the environment.
Natural VS Synthetic Grass: Benefits and Education
- Injury Rates: Professional athletes are at a lower risk for injury when playing on natural turf. Research from the 2018 and 2019 American Journal of Sports Medicine shows that NFL athletes incur injuries more often on synthetic turf over a period of five playing seasons, and on NCAA injuries over the course of 10 playing seasons, compared to when they play on natural turf.
- The Concussion Discussion: Natural grass is much safer than artificial grass when it comes to the risk of injury and concussion rates. An athlete is at a higher risk of getting a concussion on synthetic turf when falling from a height half as high as they could on natural grass. This means that an athlete can fall from a height twice as high on natural grass and still avoid the risk of getting a concussion. https://twitter.com/shockedfilm/status/975814298902638593)
- Construction and Maintenance Costs: In our professional opinion, schools or cities could take the money used to put in a synthetic field that will only last 5-10 years and instead invest it into proper maintenance and construction of natural grass fields and come out cheaper with a better, safer, and more natural product. Synthetic turf fields are not maintenance-free as they are often thought of when purchasing.
- We have years of experience installing sod at the NFL and collegiate level. When considering Warranty Issues and Removal Costs when comparing natural turf and artificial turf, just ask around. There are many instances of warranties being voided on synthetic fields due to flooding, wear, and tear, failure to maintain, improper footwear, etc. Field managers are then stuck with repairs or fields they cannot use because they are not covered under specific warranties. Also, the costs of removing the field in several years should be talked about before being done. It is often extremely expensive to find a place to dump the old field, fibers, and crumb rubber, and people are sometimes caught off guard at the end of the field’s use.
- Microplastics pollution: Did you know that synthetic grass is becoming a large concern for microplastic pollution? If you go out to a synthetic field and rub your hand across the surface, you will see the combination of crumb, rubber, and plastic fibers that get loose from these fields. Later, they are carried in kid’s cleats, clothes, and end up in washing machines and ultimately end up in city or in public water supplies. Those in favor of synthetic turf may say that they are re-using waste from tires and diverting it from the landfill to promote sustainability. In reality, they are delaying it from reaching the landfill as opposed to preventing it. Recent studies have also found the first traces of microplastic in the human body.
To learn more about the benefits of natural grass watch this video.