One of the hardest-working turfgrasses ever released, El Toro was developed to survive extreme drought conditions. Among its many other top-performing benefits, its dense growth habit resists weeds and insects while also withstanding traffic. El Toro zoysiagrass grows well in sun or shade, and it thrives in low-fertility environments. What’s more, El Toro has outstanding tolerance to both heat and cold.
In short, El Toro zoysiagrass needs less water, pesticides and fertilizer, which equates to big savings in both inputs and labor. An excellent all-around turfgrass variety, El Toro is a top option wherever a low-input yet high-quality turf surface is needed.
El Toro zoysiagrass is a warm-season variety suited for Hardiness Zones 7b, 8a, and 8b.
Attributes and Benefits
- Drought tolerant (#1 zoysia in 1996–2001 NTEP trials) = reduced irrigation requirement.
- Aggressive lateral growth habit = quick recovery from wear.
- Exceptional shade tolerance = versatile.
- Excellent salt tolerance = good for seaside areas.
- Fall color retention = extended aesthetics.
- Reduced thatch buildup = lower maintenance.
- Sunlight Requirement: Best with at least 4 to 6 hours of sun per day.
- Mowing: Best maintained at 0.5” to 1.0” (reel mower) or 1.0” to 3.0” (rotary mower).
- Fertility: Recommended less than 2 lbs. N/1,000 ft2/year (none after September).
- Weed Control: All herbicides labeled for use on zoysiagrass can be safely applied to Buy Sod’s El Toro zoysiagrass. Always follow label instructions.
- Disease Control: Zoysiagrass can be susceptible to large patch in spring and fall. Use an appropriate fungicide preventatively on high-end applications, or treat curatively (as needed) on lower maintenance applications. All fungicides labeled for zoysiagrass can be safely applied to Buy Sod’s El Toro zoysiagrass. Always follow label instructions.
- Insect Control: Zoysiagrass is naturally resistant to most insects. All insecticides labeled for use on zoysiagrass can be safely applied to Buy Sod’s El Toro zoysiagrass.
- Golf — fairways and shaded tees.
- Landscape — residential lawns and commercial landscapes.
- Sports — moderate-use fields, such as baseball and softball.
- Playgrounds and parks.
- Highway rights-of-way.
Developed by Dr. Victor B. Youngner at the University of California-Riverside, El Toro zoysiagrass was released in 1985.
|Fineness of Blades|
|Speed of Recovery|